Friday, January 26, 2007

25 is my new lucky number

I just can’t put it into words. They were all right. When you get the call, you’re not expecting it and you don’t know what to say.

OUT

We are out!! The PGN decree was signed yesterday, 1/25.
How odd.
DNA Match: Sept 25
Pre-Approval: Oct 25
PGN decree: Jan 25

I do believe that 25 is my new lucky number.

We got the call while we were in WallyWorld buying milk and dogfood. (Not to be used together, thankfully.) I had made it to the back of the store, near the baby section, when my cell phone lit up and I recognized the agency's phone number. I paniced for a few seconds wondering if I should be so excited. What if it was a kick out? I don't know what I would have done. Alas, it was the good news we'd been waiting for. No kick outs and we're done. Decree granted. It took eight weeks for the final signature. I got my copy of the decree and noticed the reviewer signed off on the case on Dec 4th. He got it on a Thursday and signed it out on the following Monday. The rest of the time was waiting for that one final signature. Bureaucracy at its finest.

At this point, we are now awaiting his First Mother’s signature on the final adoption deed, the Protocolo. I want to take a minute to share a few thoughts here. I have seen others write similar statements but now it’s my turn. This will be the fourth time she has had to sign paperwork related to the relinquishment of this precious baby boy. Her baby boy. At any time she has had the right to say “No. I can’t do this. I don’t want to do this.” I am very well aware that I have no right to this child. I personally would argue that no person on this earth has the right to this child. He is his own person and he belongs to himself. However, for legal purposes, his First Mother has the ability to grant custody to whomever she sees fit. I hope that continues to see fit to grant custody to us.

I won’t insult her by pretending to know how she feels or what she is thinking. I don’t know anything about her or her family. I can only offer that I and my family will do everything in our power to raise her child to manhood. I hope that he is able to accomplish any and every dream that he has. I promise that I will spend every day of my life loving this child and caring for him until I draw my last breath. I know it all sounds trite and cliché and has been said thousands of times in the past month alone. I can only hope that my actions will speak louder than my words.

On a happy note, we’ve cleared another MAJOR hurdle in the journey that will bring us back to Guatemala. We’re hoping for a quick embassy appointment to bring him to our humble little abode. A new life for him and for us. Not better. Not worse. Just new and different and full of possibilities.

9 comments:

art-sweet said...

fantastic news!

Barb said...

YAY!!! Gratz on getting OUT! I hope the rest of the process is smooth and speedy!

Third Mom said...

Excellent, here's hoping the rest of the wait flies by!

erinberry said...

Congratulations!

Andrea said...

Awesome news!! Congratulations! 25 is a lucky number, indeed!!

Anonymous said...

CONGRATS! Out is a great place to be!

Anonymous said...

wonderful news! Congrats! :)

SpaGoetz said...

My heartfelt congratulations!!!
I wish you speedy PINK!
Joanna

Yeah So said...

I could have sworn I commented to say congrats on this already but I don't see my comment.

CONGRATS!!